Monday, March 29, 2010

14K 'Til Bottom


Nic and I have always wanted to go sky diving so, we went! It's kind of like one of those things where if you over analyze it you are sure to talk yourself out of it. Especially when it comes to deciding whether or not to jump out of a plane at 14,000 feet.


A group of friends from work put together a jump on Friday morning. We were all virgin jumpers which made it a perfect opportunity for us to go. We hit Dillingham air field up at the North Shore about 8 am that morning. By 8:30 we were climbing an altitude of 14,000 feet with some random dude strapped to the back of us that is supposed to prevent us from not becoming scrabbled eggs once we hit bottom. I guess there is no much to debrief you on. You either live, or you don't.


After we reached 14,000 feet we inched our way to the edge of the plane. Then...JUMP! It was about 72 seconds of free fall with no chute. Probably the greatest 72 second rush I have ever had. It was amazing and something that I can't even describe. After 72 seconds the chute opened and we sailed down for about 6 min. I remember my instructor saying to me after the parachute opened, "We lived!." I thought, "Oh, good."

2 comments: