Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mainland vs. Island

Although living on an island in the middle of the Pacific is super exotic, there are many things, simple things, that this place is lacking or just doesn't have because it is an island and I truly miss.Here are a few (not in order of importance):

- Neighborhoods
- Mexican food
- Cafes , even just coffee stands
- Outdoor seating at restaurants (why Hawaii doesn't have outdoor seating is their restaurants is beyond me. Hello???)
- Billboards (there is literally no advertising here)
- White people
- Not even a good, but just a decent pizza parlor
- Pubs or good dive bars (we have none)
- Trains
- Bridges
- Recycling (this one is really annoying)
- Self check-out stands
- Trader Joe's (it's funny to me that the clerks at Trader Joe's are forced to wear Aloha shirts but there isn't even a Trader Joe's in Hawaii. I don't get it).

I guess I can't fault this place too much because we really are in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes I like to look on the map and remind myself how far away from home I really am.


View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. Do I need to mail you some peanut butter pretzels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor will and i will help boost the white people population when we get there!

    ReplyDelete